FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old May 30, 2014, 9:46 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Frankfurt to Johannesburg (FRA-JNB) on South African Airways A340-600 in business class

I would have like to fly this leg on Lufthansa for a chance to use a couple of upgrade vouchers that otherwise expired unused, but the airline schedules and my limited time precluded that. So instead I was booked on the earlier SA flight and got to fly a new airline.

First though I had security at FRA - never a fun experience unless you like standing around being yelled at and then the obligatory grope. It's the closest security I've encountered in all my travels to the TSA security experience at some (most?) airports in USA, and that is not a good thing. Then a short walk to the new B nonschengen Senator lounge. I've spent many hours in the old one but this was my first visit to the new improved lounge. Decor is vastly better and it was less crowded than the old lounge. Food and beverages didn't seem much different and still no computer terminals. However shower rooms were improved and no queue to use it. Yay.

We boarded on time and I had some pre-departure bubbles. Amenity kit was handed out, but no menu due to "shortage". On some other flights when I've been given that explanation for lack of menus it has actually been due to catering not matching the printed menus. I have no idea if it was the case here, but sitting near the back of the cabin I was only offered one choice of main. It didn't sound appetising so I said I'd skip the main. I ended up with a second starter and extra frequent refills of a nice South African wine.

Having been flying all day and travelling westbound to make it a long day, I was quite tired and went to sleep shortly after dinner, awaking to the aromas of breakfast. I'd missed the cabin run for meal orders but one of the crew noticed I had awoken and took my order.

As I was sitting in the middle pair of seats I missed out on the nice views of the early morning sun. There is something about Africa (and outback Australia too for that matter) that I could watch for hours on end. Unfortunately I don't get much opportunity (well for Africa) - not visiting enough and the longhaul flights often are night time. Perhaps I will have better luck on my next flight, leaving in a couple of hours' time?

We landed early but got a gate a long way from immigration and on the opposite side of the terminal from transfer security. First I had to get my eticket checked at a transfer check point. I don't know why they have this before transfer desk and in addition to transfer security. There are more opportunities for non-international transfer passengers to be turned back but this extra check adds 20 minutes (this time - no idea if that is normal) for very little value. Next I stop off at the transfer desk and collect onward boarding passes - 3 this time.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 10:01 pm