FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old May 30, 2014, 7:00 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Seoul Incheon to Frankfurt (ICN-FRA) on Asiana Airlines 747-400combi in business class

At the transfer desk I collected two more boarding passes. I was hoping for more as the time between second and third flights is fairly short but the third flight was not yet open for remote check in. I enquired about the chances of my upgrade request clearing - looking good as the flight is oversold in both economy and business and I have high status on Asiana, but no guarantees and it hadn't yet cleared. It didn't clear later either which meant the 50% off upgrade voucher expired without being able to be used At least I'm still flying in business class.

I've flown Asiana's 747 combi several times, but always in a first class seat - either because I'm flying in first class or because only 2-class service is offered and I'm flying in business class with a first class seat. So for the second flight in a row I had a new seat to try out.

But first I had several hours to fill. I again had first class lounge access thanks to my status (this time OZ whereas in SIN it was SQ). I freshened up in the shower and did some emergency repairs using a hotel sewing kit I had stashed in my carry on. Only then did I relax, grab a late breakfast and some drinks.

Eventually it was time to board and go upstairs to my seat. The seat didn't blow me away, but then I did not have high expectations either. It is flat on a slope, and fairly average for a longhaul seat in the late 2000s. Nowadays it is well behind the norm, but also not the worst option (for instance Air NZ 767 business seat is far worse).

It seemed wierd to be flying from Asia to Europe in the middle of the day. My previous flights between the two continents (in this direction) have mostly been late night departures or early morning. Thanks to my better than usual sleep on the flight into Seoul I was not very tired and didn't nap at all. Instead I watched some movies (IFE was also average at best), read some papers I'd brought with me and filled the time tasting as much of the drinks list as possible.

Due to weather at Frankfurt we looped around the German countryside a bit and were late in landing.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm