FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]
Old May 30, 2014, 1:52 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Here's the link. They're selling "Luxury" in the title of the property, in the imagery below the title, and (obviously) in the room rates.

Click the main LC home page and you see more of the same: Starwood is selling both this brand and this individual property as luxury. That is the entire point of this brand, and based on most reviews of the Mystique it actually does a reasonably good job of delivering. (In other words, the more this thread progresses the more I'm convinced that the hotel is a perfectly fine and luxurious one, albeit with occasional engineering problems just like anywhere else.)

For a contrasting but similar concept, there's Marriott's Autograph Collection. Their site has a category for luxury hotels, but also has other types of unique hotels and doesn't attempt to sell a particular star rating on the brand as a whole. Those hotels are priced lower (on average) and don't set the same expectation that LC does.
You misunderstood me or I said it wrong. I didnt mean to say they didnt sell the hotel as being a luxury hotel, as you pointed out they do in fact do that. "I dont see this place selling themselves as 'luxury' " meant I dont see how they can call themselves a luxury hotel when everything about it says it isnt. Yet I would stay there if they were the only ones that offered what I was looking for, location and views.

Seems fron the OP that may not be the case, so if it comes down to spending 300-400 euro and stay elsewhere or pony up the pts, it would depend on how many pts and if I could get a better return for them then using them here, if not then I would use my pts and stay here, knowing its not a SR or a luxury hotel

rightly or wrongly it does seem that the OP thought that this was gonna be their Shangri-la . Really no different then many folks I know who cursed out the Sheraton Princess or Marriott in Wakiki expecting a true Resort hotel only to see they are in some 1950s dated room and hotel and could be in any hotel in any big city = no resort feeling to the hotel itself. They were in a resort location just the hotel wasnt a resort

Last edited by craz; May 30, 2014 at 2:00 pm