FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]
Old May 30, 2014, 1:40 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
I dont see this place selling itself as a luxury place
Here's the link. They're selling "Luxury" in the title of the property, in the imagery below the title, and (obviously) in the room rates.

Click the main LC home page and you see more of the same: Starwood is selling both this brand and this individual property as luxury. That is the entire point of this brand, and based on most reviews of the Mystique it actually does a reasonably good job of delivering. (In other words, the more this thread progresses the more I'm convinced that the hotel is a perfectly fine and luxurious one, albeit with occasional engineering problems just like anywhere else.)

For a contrasting but similar concept, there's Marriott's Autograph Collection. Their site has a category for luxury hotels, but also has other types of unique hotels and doesn't attempt to sell a particular star rating on the brand as a whole. Those hotels are priced lower (on average) and don't set the same expectation that LC does.

Originally Posted by ngupta
As for wi-fi, we had to skype our parents (In US and India) b'se of our 20th anniversary, we could not accomplish that and that was shameful. That's how important working wi-fi was to us.
Shameful? You're absolutely killing me here.

How did human beings survive travel eons ago when we couldn't videoconference people around the world?