FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old May 30, 2014, 6:20 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Five Continents in 3 Days

It had been a while since my last star alliance around the world, and thanks to currency movements fares had come down a bit from certain origins. Generally I've used my star alliance around the world tickets to visit new countries, but it was time for a change of approach.

I didn't have a lot of time but wanted to visit some new places and experience some new to me airline products.

With some experimentation I found I could visit several continents within the mileage restrictions of the star alliance fare rules. However, with my schedule constraints it would mean flying multiple longhaul flights back to back. Living as far away from Europe as is possible and flying there and back over weekend trips means this doesn't bother me, apart from a nagging doubt about possible missed connections.

Since my routing is rather zig-zagging a misconnect early in the sequence is easily catered for with many options (although being close to Christmas many of the flights are full or nearly so and so I didn't want to test it). A misconnect later in the sequence is more problematic as there were few rerouting options - and these involved many thousands more miles of flying.