FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!
Old May 29, 2014, 8:29 am
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Isn't there an appeal that is worth making here? ... Swiss appealed left right and centre until they had the decision swayed - perhaps, so should the consumers? It's only fair.
You may be able to appeal, but it can be a painful process. I know absolutely nothing about Canadian law or court procedural rules. I've done appeals in the U.S.; and I can tell you that the appeal process has loads of very technical rules. For example, I practice in Massachusetts. We have 30 days from the docketing of the Judgment to claim an appeal. Note that the docketing date is different from the actual date of the Judgment. File a Notice of Appeal on the 31st day, and you're done, except in very specific circumstances, which are spelled out in the Rules of Appellate Procedure.

And that's just the beginning. Apart from numerous very specific dates for doing a number of things connected with the appeal, the Rules of Appellate Procedure also get into the format of your brief in a very detailed way, specifying the number of pages, size of the margins, font and font size, even the chemical composition of the paper.

Bottom line? If you're going to appeal, the best thing you can do is to get a lawyer experienced in appeals before the CTA or whatever court/authority will decide the appeal. You don't want to be thrown out on a technicality.