FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old May 28, 2014, 2:35 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
In the scheme of things, it's really not that important to spend money for a chip reader. After all, if it's true, there's nothing I can do about it at this point and I don't think I'm going to bother going the UNFCU route. I will find out soon enough say on Monday morning when I arrive in Paris and try to use the card to purchase a ticket from CDG to Gare du nord on the RER in one of their machines. If it doesn't work, it will certainly be an inconvenience to have to queue at the personneled window to get the ticket. As this blog is probably the number one dispenser of information regarding the implementation of emv cards and just what verification methods would be used, I brought it up just for purposes of informing those on the blog here. After all, we've been saying for over a year that there are only 3 true chip and pin cards that USA residents can use (if they can get one): DC, UNFCU and USAA. I guess we just have to cross USAA off the list but as I said, I won't know for sure till Monday morning in Paris but my guess is I'm right and quite frankly as I've said just another indication that the die has basically been cast as to what will happen in the United States and it really doesn't look very good for "true" chip and pin, wouldn't you agree?
If the card is signature priority but still has a PIN, the machines asking for a PIN wouldn't be conclusive proof of that. Plus, updated info would be helpful for the spreadsheet.