FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion
Old May 27, 2014, 9:00 pm
seawolf
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crazycrab955
If the US version of the ABTC is not going to function as all the other ABTC-issued cards do in terms of pre-clearance and visa-free access to pre-cleared countries, then this long wait has been for nearly nothing.
Unfortunately that is what it is looking like. I think as long as US stays a transitional member, visa-free access is off the table. I'm not sure if US even wants to be a full member as it would mean providing visa-free access to all other APEC full members solely on the basis of information collected on ABTC application. The only information I believe are captured on ABTC applications (based on old APEC Operating Framework and interim final rule describing application process) are:

• applicant’s name;
• gender;
• date of birth;
• place of birth;
• passport issuing economy;
• passport issuing authority;
• travel document number, expiry date and date of issue; and
• business type

Except for business type, everything else exist on a passport. Essentially it is "visa-free" access to US based on the ABTC criteria of the other APEC countries. The other countries may/may not perform any due diligence (eg background checks) that comes with a traditional US visa application. I'm not sure if US is willing to give up that control.

When you look at the US ABTC process, it seems like CBP will allow applicants to "self-certify" they are "business persons." Not sure if other APEC countries will look favorably at that given some of these countries make their citizens jump thru hoops to prove they are legit "business persons." News reports from Australia seem to indicate that they set a very high bar on which of their citizens are eligible for ABTC.

Finally the US joined ABTC as a transitional member in 2007. If their intent was to be a full member, I think we would be there by now.