FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!
Old May 27, 2014, 6:53 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
CTA's decision is a disaster for consumers.

In paragraph 33, the decision acknowledges that one of the complainants called Swiss to confirm class of travel and schedule times.

In paragraph 50, the decision states "The fact that none of the complainants raised the mistake with the carrier leads the agency to conclude that they intended to benefit from it."

In other words, it's not enough just to call the airline after booking an unusually low fare. You have to ask "Hey, this looks like it might be a mistake, can you confirm the fare is valid and you intended to enter into a contract with me?"

CTA is placing a terrible burden on consumers with respect to their ability to rely on a ticketed reservation, and has dramatically shifted the playing field in favor of all airlines (not just LX).

Canada is now a jurisdiction that has zero protection for ticketed reservations, and airlines can cancel simply by arguing they made a mistake. SQ, NH, 9W, IB, BA, will all be studying this decision carefully and will follow LX's lead in the future.

While I congratulate LX on a hard-fought battle and their counsel at Davis for their persistence, I am deeply disappointed in the Canadian transport officials for their poorly reasoned and illogical decision.
no!!! that is not correct (thankfully! )

with respect to your bolded part it is not the end of consumer protection.

it only recognises that when a person knew it was a mistake (or can be deemed to know), and they (essentially) tried to conceal and benefit from that mistake, that they may not get protection.

this is not allowing an airline in any situation to simply claim 'mistake'.

to argue that is the case is scaremongering.