FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Pointbreaks discussion
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2014, 5:16 pm
uncommonsensical

Originally Posted by iahphx
I really don't know what folks are expecting with this. I guess they've thrown in a few "surprising" hotels over the years, which has raised expectations. But let's face it: it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere and that means it's time for most hotels there to make some money on leisure travel. I NEVER expect to book a vacation from this list; just to hopefully find a couple of hotels in cities that I'm passing through. I EXPECT these hotels to be odd, and certainly not their best, most convenient, and most expensive properties.

Still, a lot of these "odd" random HIX and Staybridges can cost $120+ night, or 20,000+ points, so I'm grateful when I can pick up a couple of almost-free nights.

If you want more from the PointBreaks program, I think you're going to be disappointed every time a new list comes out. Personally, I'm glad there's "a list" at all, since none of the other chains do anything like this.
other chains, overall, have better properties, WAY better treatment/benefits for elites and all at fewer award points. at 25,000 points transferred from chase, you get the Park Hyatt Maldives or.... a run down holiday inn next to a truck stop in anytown USA. hmmm... tough call.

my point is that IHG NEEDS PB hotels as an offset for their vastly inferior product and benefits. PB's are the only compelling benefit IHG has. the Big Win was very successful for IHG. how many made Big Win stays, even mattress runs, to earn points purely to get value out of them with PB hotels? my guess... a lot. at regular award prices, the value isn't there. without a compelling PB list, for me and many, there is no reason to waste stays at a IHG property.

perhaps you're not aware that there is a whole world outside of the Northern Hemisphere. the world where nearly 2/3 of the world population lives. the world where it is now LOW season. the world where IHG has 3 PB hotels for the next 2 months- with 1 of those having a military coup and curfews. yeah, awesome list. having a ss-so list during peak season is one thing. having no list at all during low season is pathetic and a bad omen.

however, if you're Clark Griswald driving the fam cross country thru the middle of nowhere in the green station wagon to wally world... this list rocks.