Thread: Premium at Lax
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2014, 5:27 am
Oneear

Programs: Avis Preferred
Premium at Lax

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm visiting the US at the end of July (coming in on a Monday afternoon) for a tour around California and Arizona (LA, Palm Springs, Route 66, GCNP, Monument Valley, Tucson, San Diego and back to LA) and driving around 1800 over 16 days.

I booked a package through BA/Avis, and specified the Premium class after reading through the options on this forum for a couple of reasons, but mainly to give me the opportunity to drive a 'typical' large American motor vehicle. Might sound strange, but there is something romantic and idealised about driving a Buick/Chrysler/Lincoln/Dodge around the west coast etc.

So the questions are: What is likely to be available at Lax on a Monday afternoon on the 21st July, and out of those that are; what would be the best choice?

The list here includes Chrysler 300, Buick Lacrosse, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger and Lincoln MKZ of what i would call American cars (i can drive a Kia, Toyota or VW in the UK).

The Challenger would be the most 'iconic', and maybe fun, in my eyes, but maybe not so well specified, and probably not likely to be available?

And which out of the Lincoln/Buick or Chrysler would be the most comfortable, luxurious for a near 2000 mile trip on the various highways i'll be travelling on? And which of those would be most likely at LAX?

Finally, i've used Avis before in the UK, but not as a member. I've signed up as a preferred member, and gather that this will enable me to use the Select and Go at LAX. I'm going to email Avis UK and see if i can pop to a nearby location to register my card and driving licence, and hopefully be able to avoid the desk at LAX when i get there - has anyone else done this before visiting a foreign destination? Is it likely they'll answer in the affirmative?

Thanks ever so much for any help you can provide, i've very much enjoyed reading the forums over the last few months, and also following carrenting.com for the reviews. Keep up the good work!

Ben