FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought
Old May 26, 2014, 5:02 pm
jsfrSE
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I don't find this appealing at all.

I have retained SE 100K status with Air Canada for the last 8 years and I have been Marco Polo Gold for the last 2 years.

Air Canada has an e-upgrade credits program which works well for Super Elite members, where Cathay Pacific only allows passengers to use their miles to upgrade. As a Marco Polo Gold, I already have some problems when I want to upgrade from premium economy to business class, due to lack of seat availability. If Cathay introduces this option, this will limit furthermore any chance of using my miles to get an upgrade from premium economy to business.

Then one has to ask what is the incentive of being Gold or Diamond on Cathay Pacific if you narrow even further our chances to upgrade?

Not a great way to entice your most loyal customers to continue flying with Cathay Pacific.

Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
I work for ICLP, a loyalty marketing agency retained by Cathay Pacific. We are working with them on the development of a new passenger initiative that CX are considering piloting in the coming months.

For some time now passengers on certain routes have been offered alternative ways to upgrade from Economy or Premium Economy. The process to date has been a highly manual and informal one; local Reservations offices would call eligible passengers a few days before departure and offer them the chance to upgrade from their class of travel for a flat rate cash fee.

In common with what some other airlines are already doing, CX are now looking at introducing an online based platform which will give members and customers the chance to buy single sector, one cabin upgrades to either Premium Economy and Business Class cabins. Customers would be invited to place an offer for their booked flights via a website prior to their departure date. If their offer was successful they would be advised around 4 days prior to departure and the offer payment collected.

I should stress that this initiative is not confirmed, but it is at a point where feedback from frequent travellers would be really useful. To that end, all comments are welcome and valued, but some areas of specific interest we have would include:
  • Has anyone had experience of this on other carriers?
  • Would such a proposition be of interest?
  • Should Marco Polo Club or Asia Miles members be differentiated from other passengers in the bidding process?
  • Does the proposed timing for the bidding work?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.