FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London {GBR}
Old May 26, 2014, 3:16 pm
chalf
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I stayed at this property in March. While the price (my corporate rate) was a bit steep, it was convenient and comfortable. My only complaint was that, on checking out, the hotel applied dynamic currency conversion (DCC, where a credit card is charged in its currency of issuer, rather than the hotel currency, with a commission baked in) to my bill, without asking, and refused to undo this on the basis that I had 'voluntarily' elected DCC at check in (I had not, and the question had never been raised). I protested extensively, and after about two weeks of e-mails back and forth managed to get the charges reversed. Of course, the DCC processing company applied another commission on the credit, so I/my employer was now doubly out of pocket on the commission. I protested again, and a credit to my account for the difference was made--less yet another DCC commission, so I was still out of pocket. At this point I gave up, deciding that my time was worth more than that (on a six night stay, the difference was however still substantial). At no time was there any offer of compensation or appreciation for my hassle.

I am staying there again this week, and will be quite attuned to the DCC issues. I was promised that after my complaints they had instituted a new training program, to ensure that employees knew how it worked.