FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - pat down for milk? and bonus tsa bozo
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2014, 1:41 pm
lg10

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And I'll stop you right there. At that point, your son's chocolate milk is not a beverage for a child. It's a medically-necessary liquid, at which point a different set of rules applies:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...essary-liquids

According to that site, such liquids in excess of the 100ml limit may necessitate additional screening, which might include a patdown.

Of course, it is regrettable that some airports perform the patdown and others do not, and there's no way for an ordinary passenger to know what the proper expectation should be.
So, right, that's what I thought. Which is why I asked TSA and also called the airline months ago, i.e. needing a doctor's note etc. - however they said it "counted" as a juice box.

It's still very unclear to me how a pat-down after the fact, which might or might not be accepted (because they said I could leave the milk and not be groped), could be of any security use.

Are they imagining that after scoping/detecting me electronically, that there is something pat-able that would be in any way connected to the milk box? And that I coerced some random little boy to accompany me cheerfully and pretend the milk box was his?

The box was an obviously-commercially-sealed item, too.

Honestly, the whole liquid ban is so stupid to begin with, but I wasn't even challenging their little rule in general, but complying with it! Maybe I should have brought the email answers from before, but then that could also look like talking back to my TSA superiors and get me more groping

I'm bewildered by all of this, unless I conclude that the pat-down is a punishment for someone using a granted exception, administered by TSA goons at some locations where they take this kind of attitude.

--LG