FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - pat down for milk? and bonus tsa bozo
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2014, 10:17 am
lg10

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by f0xx
I've been patiently awaiting the day I get a friendly TSA groping.

Sucks OP. Sorry

Chocolate Milk ≠ Formula, Breast Milk and/or Juice though.
Thanks! Yes, re the formula/etc. - I contacted TSA a few months ago, before a different [uneventful] trip.

The situation is that my son is allergic to corn and soy, which means that almost every food we could buy post-security would send him into anaphylaxis (yes I have an epipen but hope not to use it in the airport!). So I asked and was told that any "juice-box sized item" of that nature, for a young child, would be acceptable.

I can make up a whole day's food for him with almost all solids, but the lack of a non-corn/soy-ingredient drink with more calories than water (he is also failure-to-thrive, needs to gain weight, so isn't supposed to drink too much straight water) - was difficult without some kind of milk boxes. Most juice boxes have ascorbic acid derived from corn.

I specifically asked if I needed a doctor's note and was told that a chocolate milk or regular milk box was in the category of a "juice box" and shouldn't be a problem - which it normally isn't.

I also have a kind of visceral problem having to explain my son's detailed medical history to a TSA goon whose only goal is to humiliate me. But that's just me.

--LG