FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you avoid the APD ?
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2014, 5:34 am
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phol
If you want to see the impact APD has, you must compare like for like fares, not discounted fares that come and go frequently from different airlines. Many passengers will not be interested in getting a rock bottom fare with a stopover in Moscow or wherever else.
I agree that it would be nonsensical to compare a rock bottom fare via Moscow to a flex fare on a direct flight.
However, comparing a rock bottom fare PEK-LON via Moscow to a rock bottom fare PEK-PAR via Moscow IS comparing like with like.
Moreover, I did not give a single example but several, including airlines like LH or LX. Now, if you consider that passengers are not interested in flying airlines like Lufthansa or Swiss between Asia and Europe, I will leave that judgment to you.

If there was no impact, there would not be the countless debates and articles in traditional and social media that there is.
If you believe that discussion of something in social media or even traditional media provides conclusive evidence of the truth of what is being discussed, then I think that we will have to agree to having very different views of what constitutes convincing evidence of a fact or phenomenon.