FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa & Singita in October
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2014, 12:09 pm
ridefar

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I havent stayed at the properties you mention, but I will give you my opinion on safaris: I think that for a first timer, 6 days is lots. It is a different vacation experience than any other I can think of--lots of time in jeeps, lots of time watching game. If you don't know you will really like it, it is a lot of money to spend (or can be, everything is relative!). I think 4-6 days is ideal for the first time, and I would definitely split it between two properties as long as travel time between them is not too great. I would also try to make them different properties in terms of style or geography so you can get a feel for what you do enjoy. Personally I love going on safari but can't imagine doing more than 10 days or so consecutively. But I have certainly met lots of people that will do 14-20 days; I just find that is too much sitting around, no matter how pampered you are and how great the game viewing is. So dip your toes in, figure out if it is for you, and if it is, you can commit to longer more remote trips in the future. That is just my $0.02.