FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought
Old May 24, 2014, 5:47 pm
ANZ787900

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by jdtravels
I agree with the above. And also that this 'bidding' (and potentially getting an upgrade for a very low price) should only be open to MPC members, and probably to those of a certain tier and above only - if only to keep the MPC a somewhat attractive programme.
The way Air New Zealand does their pay for upgrade system is that they add on a bonus percentage on top of your bid for status members. This may equate to 150% on top of your bid for DM, 100% for GO, 50% for SL; so that you can 'bid' the same amount of money as a GM but you'd be placed in a better position to receive that upgrade.

Originally Posted by jawnbc
As someone who flies Air NZ frequently, their "one up" bid system is maddening: it makes it much harder for frequent flyers with status to redeem recognition upgrades. The airline is putting relatively small amounts of cash ahead of consumer loyalty--and we're voting with our feet. I'm looking seriously at shifting my business entirely towards OneWorld (I have status with Marco Polo as well).
I've never cared for Airpoints. I went with UA. The difference here is that CX doesn't have any RUs so that isn't an issue in this case.

I personally say no to this. If they were to do this, they'd have to figure out a way to balance out the benefits for the MPO members. Yes, op-ups are unpublished but I bet it's one perk people are willing to keep their status with CX for. If you take them away by offering everyone this opportunity to upgrade, you're left with the guaranteed Y seat as the only major benefit available. There are no status bonuses and redemption rates are poor.

But yes, they are a business and usually the bottom line comes before anything else.. Just please don't be like Air NZ and decide that high valued customers are worth nothing to you....