FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAA - no processing fee giftcards
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2014, 10:15 am
36902BRF

Originally Posted by troydwhite
You would lose certain benefits, like discounts in auto/renters insurance.

Maybe it's better to setup a throwaway account to save the $ on VGCs and get off the blacklist?
Interesting I don't use AAA for insurance personally so not a big deal (they could never compete with USAA whenever I checked). Essentially I was about to get rid of them last year because about the only thing I use them for is the AAA discount at some hotels and even that is less useful than it once was. Their road side assistance is more expensive than what I get from my insurance company and less generous. I don't really use their maps or tour guides any more nor trip tiks (in an age of GPS they are more or less superfluous). Part of my calculation in renewing this year was the gift card access. Without that I am not sure the discounts are enough anymore In any case i have nearly a year to think it over.

As for a "disposable account" GC purchases that hardly seems worth it unless there is a way to figure out how to make this scalable. It looks like the cheapest plan near me is $71 which means I'd have to buy $7500 worth of gift cards (during the no fee promotions) before I broke even (more than me and a number of other folks were able to do prior to shutdown) with the cost of OVs. The pay back is even worse if you have a lower cost options for GCs (and there are some).

Last edited by 36902BRF; May 24, 2014 at 10:31 am