FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS
Old May 23, 2014, 3:33 pm
PtsJunkieWI

Originally Posted by Zgirl
I don't quite understand why would someone pay $3.74 to "transfer" money from T-M to Emerald. With T-M you can do a CA at the bank up to $500 for a $2 fee, or get CB at the store, or you can do BP or MO.... Why to make things more complicated and involve Emerald?
Because you can do BP from Emerald?? Wow! I'm lost!
I "get" that you disagree with this methodology. And I acknowledge both your opinion and logic. Thank you for being an enthusiastic sounding board.^
But, I counter that you don't have to harp on it!

I am avoiding additional cash & MO transactions, above my current cash/MO level. Period. That is the reason.

It took a long while to settle into nearly $25k of MOs and cash greenbacks moving around without getting in trouble with my various banks. I am happy with that equilibrium. I am ok with not doing as much as others do, perhaps you yourself do much more. Awesome!

I do my other $15-$25k MS in electronic methods. i.e. 3x Bluebird BP, Simple BP, Emerald BP, direct branch payments (with MO!), etc.
With Relits in my area (at 5% CB, mind you), and utilizing the T-M card (Relit fee is refunded), I'm actually *saving* $40+ versus when I used to load it via VRs, netting a tidy profit of $214.50 / month, or $2562 per year (incl BP fees).

Emerald is a nice, safe $5k route, at minimal cost for me ($37.40/month). It might be for others, also. Diversification is not a bad thing, even at a (minimal) cost!