FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old May 23, 2014, 2:48 pm
prathmell

Pen Fed does NOT work at unattended kiosks - Per PenFed themselves

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
One quick sort of correction to your post. Most reports are the Pen, Andrews and State Department cards do function as advertised in unpersonneled kiosks. I'm sure there have been failures but not an overwhelming number have been reported here. The biggest problem reported here has been the automatic toll gates on some French autoroutes. But then again, that's been an ongoing problem long before this whole emv issue arose. At least that stuff is buried somewhere in here.
I just now read this answer from PenFed. The following is a quote from their most recent email to me (sent 11:48 am May 23, 2014):

"To clarify, an unattended terminal or kiosk should request your card's PIN.

Unfortunately, your card does not currently work with an unmanned kiosk because the card is looking for a signature first and the Kiosk is unable to
communicate to tell the card PIN is preferred- which is what a merchant can do at a Point of Sale.

We are looking into this because it was not our intention to disable this capability." (emphasis mine)

just FYI, I have a Visa Platinum Rewards card from PenFed - no annual fee, no foreign exchange fee

Last edited by prathmell; May 23, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: clarity