FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2014, 11:49 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Since Red Devil isn't part of the Aleutians, I'm going to hazard a guess that this would have been Wien Air Alaska flying on an F27.
48. Well, you are very close! And you have correctly identified the aircraft type! The air carrier was Northern Consolidated Airlines (NCA) which would be subsequently acquired by Wien Air Alaska. In order to reflect this acquisition, Wien then changed its name to Wien Consolidated. It then kept this name for several years before another name change back to Wien Air Alaska.

Northern Consolidated flew an interesting variant of the Fairchild turboprop being the F-27B. This was a Combi aircraft that was capable of conducting mixed passenger/freight operations in a configuration that was roughly similar to the Boeing 727-100QC Combi . The only other F-27B operator I know of was Wien and their aircraft probably all came from Northern Consolidated.

The routing for this flight was Anchorage (ANC)-McGrath (MCG)-Kalakaket Air Force Station (KKK)-Red Devil (RDV). The service was flown round trip every Friday.

BTW, Red Devil as you may suspect is not a very big place. The 2010 census listed 23 folks living there (not including dogs). The reason for the Northern Consolidated service into Red Devil in 1963 appears to have been the Red Devil Mine which apparently closed in 1971.