FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old May 23, 2014, 3:07 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by alexmt
Holy freaking boatload of posts "emvchip" - wow.

Anyway, what's your "understanding" of Chase's chip and PIN plan based upon? Given it was announced after Target talked, it sounded at least semi-likely to be real chip and PIN cards.

Why do you say the Diner's Club doesn't allow signature? Is that based on the CVM list or on speculation? How many terminals in the world really don't support PIN?

Agreed humans are unpredictable, though today at Walmart at a register the chip failed at they made me use a different lane rather than let me try it until it let me swipe (said, oh you can't use a chip card in this lane). That was a simple "card problem" error.

In the next lane, I again had the issue I've been having with my Delta Gold Amex where it takes a few tries to go through...
Just a guess on my part but one of the reasons I feel Chase will be c&s with c&p capabilities is the decision Barclay's Bank made with the arrival card. Of course it's just a guess but first and foremost, Barclay's with its main office in London obviously has the structure in place to go c&p priority. Moving the back office operatios to its USA subsidiary should not be a big deal. Either they read the tea leaves of what is to come or the banks have been discussing this among themselves (anti trust be damned).

Like I said, I'm not saying I know anything others here don't know but I do think if you step back and try to think this out logically, it's the only conclusion you can reach. Would I be shocked if I'm wrong? No but it just can't be that Barclay's and Amex went in essence the c&s route (Amex also has an infrastructure in place to go c&p as their cards issued in Europe and elsewhere are mandated to be c&p) and it's sort of telling they went c&s with no c&p capabilities. There just has to be something there.