FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup
Old May 22, 2014, 8:07 am
CDKing
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ft101
Travel to the airport is excused. Just keep a printout of your flight details handy in case you're stopped.
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
"Thai army spokesman says that people heading to the airport to leave #Thailand can do so at any time day & night #ThaiCoup"

Hopefully, all the military at checkpoints get the memo......
Thanks, Ill have to find a way to print a new copy. I initially had an 11AM flight that i switched the night before outbound departure so have no proof of my current return flights. Not sure if they would take the older one thinking i was headed out too early.

*Edit*

News is faster than the state department:

[email protected]
8:16 PM (4 hours ago)

to me
U.S. Embassy Bangkok

Emergency Message

Thursday, May 22, 2014

This message is to inform U.S. citizens that the Royal Thai Army has announced it has seized control of the administration of the country effective 4:30 PM on May 22, 2014. Authorities have announced a countrywide curfew from 10PM to 5AM. U.S. citizens are advised to stay alert, exercise caution, and monitor media coverage. You are advised to avoid areas where there are protest events, large gatherings, or security operations and follow the instructions of Thai authorities.

U.S. citizens are cautioned that even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid protest sites, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports. You should allow extra time when travelling throughout the city or to/from airports. Consider using public transportation.

U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Thailand are strongly advised to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) https://step.state.gov/step/. U.S. citizens without Internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in case of an emergency.

Unless otherwise indicated in a public announcement, the U.S. Embassy is open for all routine American Citizens Services by appointment. U.S. citizens needing emergency assistance do not need an appointment. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html) is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy's after-hours emergency telephone number is 66- 2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai (http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html), located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai, is also open unless otherwise indicated. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107- 777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878. You can also follow the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok's American Citizen Services Unit on Twitter for further updates.

Last edited by CDKing; May 22, 2014 at 8:21 am