FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What questions were you as a US citizen asked by US border patrol agents?
Old May 21, 2014, 7:06 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rmiller774
OP - please, just answer the questions. Don't be goaded into getting your back up at a border crossing. Save that for something important such as when your morning paper isn't delivered.

My wife and I cross most of the time at the sleepy Chief Mountain crossing in Montana during summer vacations. We have been asked if we carried $10,000 or more in currency, if we had firearms, cigarettes or alcohol and if we possessed bear spray (which you cannot bring into Canada). Sometimes we are asked about fruit. Once we were asked by a good humored agent if we were eloping. We answer all questions. Before beginning each trip we always look in the trunk of our rental car before making our first border crossing. We have never had a problem going north or south.
There is a monumental difference when crossing for leisure and crossing for work. About 25% of the time, close to 50% since 2007, I have been given various levels of problems on the Canadian side. Nexus has stopped most of the US questions as use of the Nexus is an assumed declaration for many of the questions.