FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What questions were you as a US citizen asked by US border patrol agents?
Old May 20, 2014, 5:20 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I don't disagree that 25+% of the US is non-white. Do you disagree with the notion that illegal immigrants to the US (and, by extension, illegal immigrants bearing false documents) are disproportionately non-white?

According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, over 90% of illegal immigrants to the US hail from Mexico, Latin America, or Asia. The populations of those countries are almost entirely non-Caucasian, and the illegal immigrants attempting to enter from those countries are almost entirely non-Caucasian. My point is not to bash non-Caucasian folks or to suggest that they are all criminals or illegals. I am simply trying to explain why a CBP officer might ask a few more citizenship and identity questions of foreign born non-Caucasians than he does of white people with American accents.
Disproportionate? Ironic classification given most "illegal immigrants" in the US have far more indigenous American history than those of us US-born persons only of European, Asian or African ethnicities.

A significant proportion of South Americans and of Latin Americans more broadly are only self-identifying as being of European ethnic backgrounds; and even most Latin Americans are "mestizo" in the sense of having some European ethnic background even if they don't appear to be "Caucasian". Most of the Brazilians, Colombians, Ecuadoreans, Venezuelans, Uruguayans, Chileans, Argentines, Mexicans, Costa Ricans and Peruvians I hung out with at or after work or on vacation or met in school are Caucasian. Any of their relatives who violated US immigration rules were usually of the same ethnic backgrounds as the relatives whom I consider friends or family. Most of my Latin American relatives are more "white" than my Swedish relatives with the King Vasa family blood. Latin America is very diverse too.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 20, 2014 at 5:32 pm