FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - short notice booking - upgrade strategy
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2014, 11:11 pm
baliktad
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
As a new AS flyer i want to make sure i understand the right strategy.

There's a chance I need to make a short notice booking xxx-yyy. On the date in question the flight is F3/Y7. Currently U = 0.

The difference between the lowest available fare and the MVP Gold upgrade fare (instant UP) is only ~$50 higher.

My understanding is that if I buy the "instant UP" fare, if/when U opens up, I'll be at (or fairly close) to the top of the list even with a short notice purchase date, surely ahead of all non-instant-UP fare classes. It's a leisure route where xxx and yyy do not equal either SEA or PDX, so my expectation is that as an MVPG I would be basically at or very near the top with an instant UP fare.

So, strategy: Buy the instant UP, or buy the cheapest?
Depends on what you mean by short notice. You're only ahead of those folks who are not already within their window.

So if you buy within 5 days of departure, ALL 75K's and their companions with existing reservations will be ahead of you, regardless of fare paid.
If you buy within 3 days of departure, ALL MVPG's and their companions with existing reservations will be ahead of you, regardless of fare paid.
If you buy within 2 days of departure, ALL MVP's with existing reservations will be ahead of you.

And of course, no matter what fare you buy, all MVPG's and MVPG 75K's and their companions who purchased Value or above fares prior to you will be above you on the list.