FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage-earning Strategy after Making MVP Gold 75K
Old May 15, 2014, 12:03 pm
fishywang

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by koopas
Thanks for the comments. At this rate, I'll be flying close to 200K a year, with most of the miles stemming from international J-class business travel.

I hear the point "Why get 75K status if I'm not going to use it?". I chose AS as my main FF program because I'm Seattle-based and fly Skyteam a heck of lot to Africa (DL/AF/KL), sometimes BA to switch it up (though BA has spotty coverage for my destinations). While I'd love to build some miles in a *A program, I just don't see lots of connectivity from Seattle to North/West Africa as Air France dominates those markets. UA also isn't that big in SEA...

I also do fly Alaska for the one-off biz trip to the East coast but I do take AS for personal trips, particularly up and down the coast. It's nice to get upgraded virtually all the time and to benefit from the MVPG fee waivers, particularly for award redemptions -- I do earn and burn quite efficiently and am quite fond of the choice and quality of AS partners (CX, I'm looking at you!).

Thanks again for your input.
I think TK and LH should have some coverage at north/west africa? They both have flights to SEA.