FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old May 13, 2014, 9:34 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
In theory, yes, but there is not any useful penalty for failure to comply, or so it seems. In any even there are a tiny number of protests so they could simply refund every protest and still make out extremely week on the deal.

In principle terminal certification and standards ought to protect consumers. In reality that does not always happen. The odd major international bank, a couple mentioned in this thread, do not maintain the regulatory/network releases up-to-date and often fail to provide for such issues as consumer notifications in language of card issue, which is not mandatory anyway. Thus one can have a notification in script that the consumer cannot recognise, for example, and still be technically in compliance. In DCC as in many other related topics YMMV.

It is too bad, isn't it, that nothing is really hard and fast in such issues?
Agree. There's no policing on DCC in some parts of the world, namely, mainland China.

I dunno why Visa Inc/Mastercard International simply withhold payments to Mainland Chinese acquirers til they mend their ways. I doubt they do.

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
Funny thing. Last Saturday I swiped my CSP on a CCB machine in Beijing. At the bottom of the slip says DCC offer "[ ]Accepted" (seems like something un-ticked), and the amount shows "RMB:238.00". The cashier told me he hit "decline" for the DCC prompt.

However, Chase just confirmed that the transaction was actually DCCed. This is the first time I stepped on a mine while stepping into unknown DCC field (have been DCC free with ICBC and BoC Starbucks machines so far).

So there you have it. The slip, the machine, and the cashier can be that deceitful.
I don't think you can be sure the cashier was.

I think more likely the terminal is programmed to offer a choice, but select DCC no matter what you choose. I dunno how CCB can find programmers so cynical/twisted (running dog beaters?).

This illustrates Chip and PIN terminals can equally be non-compliant.