FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts for 2016
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2014, 11:31 pm
skibum7732
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Dbears
Greetings from a relative newbie. I'm just beginning my thoughts for a large vacation in 2016 and am seeking advice.

1. I will be retiring this year and have much of 2014 committed to a 3 week trip including a 10 day cruise in the Mediterranean in Italy and Spain. I think that's probably enough for this year.
2. I am completing my earning of 100k RR points on WN this year and will have a companion pass earned as well for this year and next. Next year I plan to take four trips with my wife somewhere in the US, Mexico or Caribbean using these rewards.
3. That leads me to 2016. I would like to take a large international trip around the world for as long as two months. I don't know where I'd like to go but I'm thinking about four to seven days on each stop. I'd like an adventure; perhaps South America or Africa if practical, interspersed with some world class cities along the way. Ideally business class but MCE is okay if the business class cost is prohibitive. Our goal is to find new things but I'd prefer to avoid a typical relaxing at a beach vacation unless it just breaks up the pace.
4. We spend on credit cards, not manufactured, about $10k per month. I currently have about 150k AA points and my wife has about 50k AA points. We also have, between us, about 300k Marriott points. I anticipate depleting my WN rewards next year. My credit is terrific so I'd consider getting a couple of AA 100k credit cards if that makes sense
5. What do you advise for me to start building towards this dream?

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)
I'd definitely add to your AA stash with at least 2x100k offers and would start adding UA and UR to your portfolio as well. Look at where you are thinking about going and start on the hotel programs that you will likely stay at in those cities...SPG, IHG, HH, etc.