FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA supervisor busted for having sex with underage girls in the Dominican Republic
Old May 11, 2014, 11:25 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
But they're not considered acceptable for US citizens abroad even if local law permits it.

On the other hand, my understanding of the law is that it's based on travel with an intent to have such sex (thus an act committed on US soil), not the sex itself.
Illegal:

"(1) traveled with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor; (2) actually engaged in illicit sexual conduct with a minor in a foreign place; or (3) attempted or conspired to violate the statute"
For US persons including those who are neither US citizens not US residents but travel to/via/from the US and doing any of the three above on or with regard to the trip/plan.

Keep in mind that there are US dual-citizens resident abroad (some who don't even know they are US citizens) who have engaged in such sex and it can lead to some legal absurdities at least theoretically.

All said, can't say I fancy the US making private US citizens' actions outside of the US a potentially prosecutable offense that could result in a conviction when it's not a crime in the host jurisdiction where a sexual act takes place. I would rather the US attempt to get the laws changed in the foreign jurisdictions or enforced abroad if not told to just go pound sand.

Your first paragraph above may be considered inaccurate.

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwes...3&context=jclc is an interesting piece about the problems of
exploitation and how it is handled.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm