FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Limes
Thread: Limes
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2014, 2:42 pm
skidooman

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Talk about your First World tragedies!
I think the problem here is not the lime itself. But the lime as part of a (perceived) trend downward in service.

Take this away, take that away, chip, chip, chip and eventually you end up with a feeling of flying a cheap airline.

I remember OZ sticking a sticker in front of my seat stating they did not want to wake me up - but it was never too late, even in Y, to get food. That kind of small attention just made me smile - and somewhere, associated in my head OZ = good service.

Same thing with SQ. In Y, from BLR to SIN, I got a real pillow, real blanket and even a pouch. Food was announced on a menu. None of which actually made up for a crampy seat per se, but overall I had the feeling to still travel in style. Not sure how much a decent pillow, blanket and a amenity kit cost, $20 maybe, but what it meant to me is that it was worth paying more to get SQ than any other airlines.

And, now, I get the chance to spend more dollars, what do I do? Fly SQ J. MAA to ICN, $1,200 in J. Their seats may not be the best, but I know that service-wise, they are hard to beat. Especially at that price.

So, yeah, it is a first-world caprice. Plenty of people would like to be in our crappy Y seats. I try to remind myself of this every time I am stuck in Y. But the point is, there is competition, and in order to thrive, you should try harder than the competition. Sometimes, I feel that maybe UA may be abandoning this.