FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old May 9, 2014, 9:46 am
Brugge

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by somy
My first citi card is reaching 1 year period and the annual fee is due soon. I am wondering if I should go for a retention offer or just cancel it to apply for another one in 6 months or so. Can I get the retention and then apply for a second card of the same kind? is that possible? i know people have done it before but not sure if its still possible.
Yes, you can probably get another Plat cc 18 to 24 months from when you applied for the one you already have. But that's true if you cancel the one you have now, or if you keep it open.

If you call, and tell Citi you need to cancel the card because of the annual fee, you may be offered the deal I got: Statement credit of $10 more than the AF, and a mileage bonus of double points for the first $1K in spend each month for the next 16 months. So they may very well actually pay you $10 to keep it open. Any spend you choose to put on it gets double points. And maybe best of all, you keep the credit line open so you can transfer it at Recon to a new cc app in the future.

Look back 2 posts above yours, where I recommended getting the 100K mile Exec card instead. If you do that, you will not be able to get another 50K card anytime soon. But you will get 100K miles right away.