FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Resort Hua Hin Master Thread [merged]
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2014, 12:40 pm
Kalboz

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
How is it stingy? The T&C's are pretty clear that you aren't entitled to an upgrade on a redemption stay, which is why I only push redemptions at properties where I know exactly what I will get on redemptions (typically those IC's which fully honour RA benefits).
I am cognizant that the IHG loyalty program is inferior in comparison to others as I very well know its T&C, but this is not what we are talking about here ... hear me out!

One major reason that people get hotel rooms is to get comfortable sleeping quarters. So, regardless of how you paid for the room, you are entitled to comfortable room where you can have a good night sleep. Paying with points doesn't make you second-class guest. Further, it is not unreasonable to expect a room free of foul smells especially at a property that pride itself with a 5-star ratings. The rating is not only about how nice is the building and furnishings, but it is also about the service and treatment. It was very stingy of the property's Thai staff to hold moving us to a different room until a lower category room opened enduring two uncomfortable nights. If they treat their elites in this manner, I don't want to know how they treat the other guests.

Regardless of how exotic and pristine the locality is and how many tours to be done there, having a room to come back to especially in the oppressive heat of Thailand is important, a refuge if you will. I stayed away from the room until around midnight, and leaving early at 5 AM to take a walk along the beautiful beaches and awesome hotel facilities (and hence the many photos) to return before breakfast for a shower.

We were there to enjoy the area and to celebrate Songkran, and not to waste much time haggling about rooms or worrying about getting nickled and dimed. Maybe we would had better results if we would interacted with upper management (westerners).