FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Why Finnair failed in Guangzhou and what should be learned."
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:21 pm
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
In the paper TG and SQ are mentioned as comparisons.

More recently, long after AY's withdrawal from the route, I have flown TK and QR ex-CAN, and I found both to have vastly better service in J than AY offers. (TK is hit&miss though.)

But I think the point of the paper is that an ex-CAN-route has to attract a very special kind of J flyer. Ex-HKG it is easy, as you have so many international businesses with corp travel accounts. Ex-CAN it is not certain business people fly J or that they even fly to Europe that much. For CAN you need pursuade small entreprenours and wealthy leisure travellers to spend personal money on flying business. The former, is suggested in the paper, needed better benefits in the FCP (mistakenly called 'Loyalty program' but it really is a small businesses discount program) and the latter needed more luxury.

The initial scope of the authors task kind of shows the faulty mindset AY had - they asked him to investigate why scandinavian companies in the area didn't fly AY, not to find a local target audience.