FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Special treatment for families on board?
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:14 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Double-ditto. I'd like to see them do away with the whole bassinet concept altogether. You want to bring a "lap" baby, then it will be a LAP baby.
I agree. Basinettes encroach on the space of other passengers. They might make sense if the baby is traveling with two parents where the basinette is placed in front of both of those parents and no other passengers, but I've seen parents traveling with a lap brat deliberately only take one basinette seat and book a separate aisle seat a few rows back for the other adult (and of course refuse to move when someone sitting at the basinette position notices the traveling companion who seems to be the father and kindly offers to give the parents two seats together with the baby). Maybe in former times babies were more likely to be traveling with both parents and both of the parents either wanted to be seated near the kid or at least both felt responsible to attempt to care for the kid on board to minimize inconvenience to other passengers.