FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sharepoint: what is it and what are the advantages?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:34 am
cheltzel

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
My company's IT leader has announced that we will be getting Sharepoint in the next year or so and that this will revolutionize the way we work and communicate between offices and with clients. I've done some quick Google research but still don't quite understand what Sharepoint is or why it's so revolutionary. I assume some of you here have experience with it? What exactly is it? What does it do? How does it make work easier, especially for a firm that does consulting projects across multiple jurisdictions?

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions, but as you can tell, I am not a technology person! Thanks in advance for any replies!
I am a SharePoint developer. The phrase "this will revolutionize the way we work and communicate between offices and with clients" is a bit over the top.

Out of the box it has some nice collaborative features but to get a really significant integration into your business processes will take a fair amount of effort and cost. If done well you can achieve increases in efficiency and reductions in manpower costs.

It is an excellent product but like everything in life YMMV.