FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum but recognised as Gold by hotels on arrival
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:55 pm
controller1

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PeterNem
I made platinum in December of 2013 and am currently on a bit of a road trip in the US. Most of my stays were booked in October/November last year.

I am currently in my 4th Westin property of the trip and today and in the previous 3 I was welcomed as a Gold member. I therefore had to make a point every time to ask for the Platinum breakfast amenity and had one hotel turn their nose up a bit and had to make a point of showing them on the SPG iPhone app that I was platinum. The property today was less confrontational and looked me up outside of the booking and apologied saying they were unsure why my status was reflecting incorrectly.

Luckily I have applied SNA on all of my stays and in 3 of the 4 properties my SNA was successful so upgrades weren't an issue. In the one where the SNA wasn't successful I was allocated a deluxe room over standard, so an upgrade was still given so I don't have a specific problem, but given rooms are pre-allocated prior to arrival, if the hotel is only recognising a guest as Gold there is a chance that any potential for an upgrade is reduced.

It would appear to me that the SPG status seems to be noted against the guest/stay at the time of booking, and is not then subsequently updated? If so this seems like a bit of a shortcoming.

Does anyone else have any experience of this to perhaps corroborate this, or is there perhaps just an issue with my SPG account?
The reservation system is supposed to update status and show the current status. However, several years ago I encountered what you encountered during my first two stays after I became Platinum at that time.

You can call central reservations and ask them to "refresh" your reservations for those that were made when you were Gold.