FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:32 am
jefftiger

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by crnk
Can you clarify a bit more: was this a ticket that you had flown half and then the return was canceled, or was each half of the RT a separate ticket? Just curious if / how they'd cancel a partially flown ticket since it doesn't seem like an option for the awards that I'm currently stopover-ed on (I'm assuming it could be called, and it still can be changed online but just not canceled).
This was a partially flown UA-booked awards ticket (booked as RT), so yes, they cancelled a partially flown ticket. My wife and I had already flown from Washington with a multi-day stopover in Bangkok and on to Bali. Our outbound routing was IAD-NRT-BKK-DPS on ANA and Thai Air. Our return was DPS-SIN-PEK-IAD on Singapore Air, Air China, and then United. IIRC, the CA segments had a different eTicket number. The entire return itinerary was cancelled after I received the UA e-mail in Chinese. Despite United's best efforts, they couldn't reinstate the original itinerary, but did end up giving us the original Singapore Air flight to SIN and then return on UA metal back to Washington.

My wife accused me of accidentally cancelling the flights! But, I was certain that I had not done this. I just came across this thread this morning so I was fascinated that it's been happening to others (albeit months after my experience).