FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:25 am
OliverB

Thanks WW,

All good points to take into account!

I think we're pretty set with regards to lodging. We're staying at Jenny Lake, Old Faithful Inn (which is indeed a priority for me), Roosevelt Cabins (wildlife viewing), and Lake Lodge. I think with the amount of time that we have in the Parks and our desire to explore and venture off the beaten paths at early hours, we should be positioning ourselves pretty strongly for experiencing wildlife.

I do have one question regarding the Buffalo Bill Cody Scenic Byway...

Now that our itinerary has shifted and we'll be going from Jenny Lake to Old Faithfull to Roosevelt to Cody, is there any reason to drive to Red Lodge at all? Is the NE Entrance to the park and the drive to Red Lodge part of the scenic pass... or should we simply take Crandall Rd directly into Cody from Roosevelt Lodge?

I'm asking becuase we are now planning to spend the night in Cody rather than Red Lodge.

By driving through to Red Lodge, we'd be covering the entire stretch of the Bear Tooth Pass Hwy, right?

If we do this, and then cut down to Cody, does it make more sense to do the Buffallo Bill Scenic Byway on the same day (essentially driving from Roosevelt Lodge to Red Lodge towards Chief Joseph Hwy... then back up along Crandall and Dead Indian Hill Rd to Sunlight Basin which is in the direction of Roosevelt again!

Should we save this for the following day, before continuing to Lake Lodge?

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 24, 2014 at 11:32 am