FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:53 pm
UA Fan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Happy
Today at a Super Center WalMart, when I swiped my BofA card with chip, the register did not like it. Then the cashier told me they have changed to a new system now you need to "stick" your card at the bottom of the machine...

She went over and looked at my card, then found the chip, stuck it in at the bottom of the machine - the screen displayed "Do not remove card". So we waited and waited. Then the screen prompted action from cashier. She pressed something, the screen now displayed the Amount, Yes, No and a 3rd option that I forgot. After touching Yes, then it processed the transaction. It took FOREVER for the transaction to close versus the usual swipe mechanism. I am not sure how this can continue - as it is way too slow for a single transaction, and took 2 or 3 extra steps, including the customer choose Yes or No or ? before the transaction is finalized.
Originally Posted by planeluvr
The process has been slow for me at WalMart. It seems to be the system right now and not operator error.
Went through very smoothly for me today. ^