FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will there be an elite requalification gift for 2014 ? [Answer : No]
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:27 am
Rusdude

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jibi
To be honest, given the magnitude of the 2013 gift compared to recent years, I would expect there to be some extra degree of financial review of the gift to see if what they plan to do for the 2014 version ("What can we offer as a token of gratitude for their loyalty? 35% off a points redemption, double points for a month, a $25 award, 1,000 points, or a magazine subscription? Hmm."). They kind of went the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the previous few years where the gifts did not even begin to resemble what they did prior to that. This type of review is simply good general business and accounting practices, especially for a publicly traded company. In my opinion, as loyal guests who invest our money and time with this company, we should expect nothing less (even if we are not direct investors in the company stock). Since the previous gift did not end completely until mid-February, I would expect to see more than a month or two of analysis and review. In all honesty, if they released a 2014 gift by now, which is late compared to the trend from previous years, I would have been very surprised.
Good analysis! The irrational part of me wants 50% off AND being able to use it on Cat. 7 properties Don't stay at high-priced properties enough for double points to be an interesting proposition. A killer deal with SPG is combining 5th Night Free and 25/35% off, IMHO.