FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help plan our trip - Greece for 21 days
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:07 am
Showbizguru
Suspended

Originally Posted by alluu
Thanks for the suggestions and links. It looks like we are going at the beginning of July instead of late May. I've been reading up quite a bit and I think we are going to cut out Zakynthos as it just isn't near any of the other places we want to go to. So the plan would be to fly into Athens and spend a couple days there. From there take a ferry to Mykonos and from Mykonos ferry over to Santorini and from Santorini ferry over to Rhodes before catching a flight from Rhodes back to Athens and heading home. We like the idea of not having a set schedule and being flexible with our time so staying at each island for 5 or so days with each island being the hub for short excursions to some of the smaller islands. Any recommendations on the smaller islands to visit for one day + night trips? Also since we are going at the beginning of the tourist season should we be concerned that the nicer resorts will not have any rooms available if we plan on not making reservations in advance?
I doubt you'll have any problems at the beginning of July.Tourism is beginning to pick up after the economic crash but the islands don't get really busy until Athenians ( those who have money ) and the rest of Europe take their holidays in August.

My only suggestion viewing your latest itinerary is that you have chosen three big and very popular islands for five day stays - I would seriously consider shortening those and staying on smaller islands for a much more authentic flavour of the Greek islands.Most are not isolated or undeveloped- all have charming villages and harbours with fabulous restaurants and bars.
Unless,of course, you positively like being in a crowd.