FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Live Trip Report: MAN-LHR-HEL
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:35 am
OldHigsonian

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by PeasantGate
I think I visited the @home lounge last year and was so shocked at having to pay for a G&T I left and went shopping (I bought some smoked elk and Finnish caviar to try).

I guessed they restrict alcohol as folk from those parts are worse than us lot when it comes to having a drink. I remember watching the locals buy huge quantities of vodka (I think) in duty free. The whole place was filled with the sound of clinking bottles and made me laugh.
Yes, seems a bit much to be expected to pay for a basic spirit in an airline lounge. I can understand if they dont want to leave bottles for help yourself, but charging is a bit much.

I guess the bar service in the Finnair lounge is quite similar to what you get in many lounges in the US e.g. AA giving out vouchers when you arrive in their lounge.

You are right about the way the locals can drink, but I think the price might be the biggest factor in restricting access. Spirits are not cheap here.
(not sure these days if the UK has the moral high ground on excessive alcohol consumption although perhaps the Nordics still shade it )