FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Congressional Action to Change How Airfares are Advertised.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:12 pm
timfountain

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Whats to stop cosumers seeing this now? Laziness. Americans are lazy, plain and simple, not enough people care. The way things are now, people look at the $300 fare that includes taxes and doesn't really comprehend that $50 of it are going to the goverment/airport That $50 turns into $70 because the tax goes up, most people think, greedy airline is charging me more now. Some people might hear a story about it but even those people will forget a month later and then blame the airline. When they see $250 for the airfare, click next and its suddenly $300, they realize that hey yeah, the goverments taking $50 from me (whether they think this is a reasonable fee for what the goverment does thats irrelevant). PS there is no misleading of the public by doing this, X is the amount charged by the airline Y is the amount charged by the goverment and the airports. Might be easier for the consumer but its unfair to the airline. Europe does it where they quote the total price including VAT but if I charged that much in taxes, I'd sure want it to be harder for the citizens to realize it.
I understand your point, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. You can't negotiate the taxes and your only choice is to fly or not. I think a more equitable solution would be to force the airlines to breakdown the exact elements of the ticket pricing, at the time of purchase....

Longer term you can vote for change, assuming you can find a congresscritter who will make this part of their ticket (hint no-one would).