FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Churning Amex in Canada (2014)
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:53 pm
Recoilx

Applying and reapplying Amex Cards ...best options for two charge cards at one time

I've seen alot of postings on the Amex Cards in Canada for signup bonuses, and I wanted to ask what the best route would be for applying and reapplying for charge cards, without doing damage (at least significant) to your card, and of course being approved by Amex Canada.

Let's start with two cards - AeroPlat and Amex Personal Gold. Both have fees waived for the first year. In order to maximize your return without taking a beating on your credit limit, and of course to be approved by Amex Canada (which by many postings here indicate that Amex Canada suggests 6 months to apply for the same card again):

b.) Cancel both cards in 6 months from the date of issue, then reapply to get the bonuses in another 6 months (getting the bonuses twice in a calendar year - one at the start, and one at the end of the year).

c.)6 months down the road cancel both cards and reapply for two other charge cards right away (such as AeroGold, Green, etc..). Thereby having signup bonuses 3 times in the calendar year, at the beginning, middle (cancel and reapply to another card), and end (reapply to original card).

d.) Same as c.) but cancel and reapply for the same two cards again (begginning (issue aeroplat, gold), middle (cancel aeroplat,gold - then renew aeroplat, gold), and end (cancel aeroplat, gold then renew aeroplat, gold).

e.) Don't cancel at all but in 6 months change to another charge card (i.e. gold to plat). So beginning of the year issued gold, middle (switch to another card, dont cancel, to get that cards bonuses), then end of the year cancel the card and renew the original card (gold).

I'd like to see what peoples thoughts are on churning and how they do applying/reapplying.