FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Belgian Beer Festival DO IV in BRU, April 26-27, 2014
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:19 pm
toomanybooks
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michilander
I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of questions about the cafe at Westvleteren for those who have been there. I see they are closed Thursday and Friday. Are they more crowded on the weekend? We are planning to go by train/taxi from Brussels for lunch one day. Is this feasible? Do they generally require a reservation?

Thanks.
The cafe at Westvleteren is called "In De Vrede." You can Google it.

Plenty big enough, plus outdoor patio, so I don't think you'll have to wait in line in April. It's not in a very populated area. Of course, we went on a weekday and got there at opening.

Best way to get there is probably the train to Poperinge and then the "Belbus." This is a nationwide network of small bus service (seating about 12-14). You call a few hours ahead and reserve, as I don't think they run everywhere all the time except by demand. Pickup is right in front of the train station. As I recall, it's about 3 Euro each way. KMA26 and I did the triangle trip of Poperinge-St. Bernardus-In De Vrede-Poperinge over 2 days.

Don't drink-and-drive in Belgium. Tough penalties. And the Westy beer will knock you over. If you are fortunate, they will have Westy 12 for sale to go at In De Vrede. About 20 Euro a six-pack. This is beer that, if you can find it, goes for $40 a bottle in the US, so consider bringing some back. They also may have 8 and Blonde. Try all three varieties (always available in the cafe) to see which you like best.

The food there is not particularly fabulous. If you can swing a lunch trip to De Heeren van Liedekirche, you'll find it much more memorable. #1 beer restaurant in the world. The chef will be at the Great Belgian Beer Dinner (I assume) on Wed. and Thurs night.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 20, 2014 at 7:25 pm