FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:15 pm
sharka

Originally Posted by Outoftime
I got the 50k miles about 18 months ago, bought Spartan Bond Fund (thismay be relevant to my experience) and the money is still there. This week I tried to do another $100k deposit for miles and was rejected. I received this from their support staff:

Thank you for contacting Fidelity Investments! I hope you are doing well, and I am happy to assist you today.

We appreciate that you would like to bring new assets to Fidelity. Our Promotions team is currently targeting the United Airlines MileagePlus promotion toward specific audiences at this time, and it is not available to all clients. I apologize for any inconvenience. A member of our Investment Solutions Team will be happy to review the other promotional offers available to you.

Perhaps my investment in a low cost mutual fund, something of a loss leader for Fidelity, led to their refusal. I wonder if I had been trading stocks, or buying mutual funds with high expense ratios, if their response would have been different.
This is the first time Ive heard of this and could be something new. Seems you had met all the requirements (and then some at 18mts). But if it is now a targeted offer much like some credit cards then it may no longer be possible to get United miles. Best to call and speak with some reps and see if its true. If United is now targeted then perhaps you may need to try the other airline miles instead before they get shutdown also.