FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buddy pass LAX to Germany
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:43 am
iker

Originally Posted by kettle1
I believe buddy passes given by a UA employee can only be used on UA metal or connection carriers. Again, as I stated above I used them once and being S4 is not fun. It is a gamble. That's why I moved to LAS, my odds are better.

To the OP, talk to the UA employee that gave you the buddy passes.
Given the complexity of the trip, I think it makes most sense for Op to stay in close contact with his/her friend, as the employee has access to United's proprietary data: Passenger loads. It'd be useful for the Op's friend to take the day off so that if it proves a difficult travel day, you can be in touch with each other.

I know that LAX-FRA seems pretty straightforward, but such a trip will require that you connect in San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Newark or DC, depending on seat availability. Seat availability, of course, is subject to a whole host of unknown variables, including weather, misconnects, mechanicals and even employees listing themselves for flights on a last-minute basis. Passenger loads and thus seat availability can fluctuate on an hour-to-hour basis. It's impossible being so far out from May 20th to know whether getting on the flights will be a challenge.

Getting to Frankfurt can be tough for a buddy pass traveler, as the priority level is quite low. My best advice would be to use Newark as a connecting point (based on seat availability of course as you near departure date), since Newark has the most flights to Europe. Have your friend list you for a number of flights to different European cities. For instance, United flies to Stuttgart, Hamburg and Berlin, in addition to Frankfurt and Munich, from its Newark hub. And Amsterdam, Paris CDG and London might be good alternatives (although to a lesser extent as travel time by train and busses is longer and more expensive). In any case, Stuttgart, Hamburg and Stuttgart are only a short train trip away from Frankfurt. Stuttgart is even closer to Frankfurt than Munich.

Also, your friend will have to make reservations for you and let you know what your odds of getting on certain flights are. S/He should provide updates one week out, the day before and the same day of departure so that you have information at your disposal. If you need to change plans/flights, you need your friend to make those changes. Gate agents can't switch flights for you. So if your friend is unavailable to make a change, you need to wait until s/he becomes available.

Originally Posted by planemechanic
And plenty of UA employees who are telling him what he should do, which is not to discuss this issue on a public forum. His friend who gave him the pass should provide the answers, if he cannot he needs to ask his fellow employees to get the answers.

There is no upside to violating company policy. Many do not care about employee travel, but many do, some to the point of not wanting even a single employee to travel non-rev, as if it will somehow degrade their experience. Why participate in something in which there is no upside?
I'm not a United employee, but I don't see how the Op is violating company policy when asking for common strategies. Discussing specific passenger loads or costs associated with buddy pass travel is one thing (not what the Op is asking for or entertaining), but asking for strategic advice, such as days to avoid and other anecdotal information, is well within bounds. Heck, as a non-employee/1K, I suggested he consider Newark as an option, as Hamburg, Berlin and Stuttgart become viable options. Is this harming United or violating policy?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:31 pm Reason: multi-quote