FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buddy pass LAX to Germany
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:47 am
aluminumdriver

Originally Posted by pkowalski
OP here:

1 - my UA buddy flies domestic so he is not really up to date on intl flights

2 - in the past, his wife would handle buddy passes and unfortunately she is unavailable to hand hold me

3 _ they never had to deal with flight routes with multiple legs and many options at each leg of flight. United does not fly direct togermany from lax, so it both makes it more complex but also gives me many more options between muc and fra which should help avoid me getting stuck.

Thanks for the replies and sorry if I had upset any etiquette rules
The UA employee doesn't have to fly international to know the loads. He can pull them up right now in EmployeeRes and tell you what the flights look like, both direct and connections. It's kind of useless information right now though since things change so quickly around here.

I usually give buddy pass info the week prior and then the week of and then the day prior so those trying to travel have all the info they need to make an educated GUESS whether they might make it or not.

From my experience, getting over to FRA on a buddy pass from somewhere is usually not a problem. Coming back on a buddy pass can be a hassle, and I see many folks getting stuck for days. So be ready to purchase a short notice ticket to get home, or purchase a refundable one ahead of time on another carrier (not United) and use it if needed.

AD